HOW TO RESPOND WHEN AN ACTIVE SHOOTER IS IN YOUR VICINITY
QUICKLY DETERMINE THE MOST REASONABLE WAY TO PROTECT YOUR OWN LIFE.
• Have an escape route and plan in mind
• Leave your belongings behind
• Keep your hands visible
2. HIDE OUT
• Hide in an area out of the active shooter’s view.
• Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors
3. TAKE ACTION
• As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
• Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter
• Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter
CALL 911 WHEN IT IS SAFE TO DO SO
HOW TO RESPOND WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES ON THE SCENE
1. HOW YOU SHOULD REACT WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES:
• Remain calm, and follow officers’ instructions • Avoid pointing, screaming and/or yelling
• Immediately raise hands and spread fingers • Do not stop to ask officers for help or direction when evacuating, just proceed in the direction from which
• Keep hands visible at all times officers are entering the premises
• Avoid making quick movements toward officers such as attempting to hold on to them for safety
2. INFORMATION YOU SHOULD PROVIDE TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OR 911 OPERATOR:
• Location of the active shooter • Number and type of weapons held
• Number of shooters, if more than one by the shooter/s
• Physical description of shooter/s • Number of potential victims at the location