20th Annual Young Writers Contest!
The Reading Reptile, in association with the Johnson County Library and the Kansas City Public Library, presents our 20th Annual Young Writers Contest! Print your entry form, fill it out, and staple it to your story. Then, turn it in to one of three places:
- The Reading Reptile
- any Johnson County Library Children’s Desk
- any KCMO Library Children’s Desk
OR you can mail it to: Reading Reptile 328 W. 63rd St. KC, MO 64113 Call (816) 753-0441 for more information
Entry Deadline: Monday, Jan. 21, 2013
- You must be between the ages of 5 and 12 to enter.
- Stories must not have been written prior to Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012. We want the fresh stuff!
- ABSOLUTELY NO entries will be accepted without an entry form.
- Stories will not be returned, so you may wish to submit a copy of your original story.
- Illustrations are welcome, but not necessary.
- No limits on the length of a story, although 500 words or less is recommended.
- There are no stipulations as to the nature, subject or form of your story.
You are welcome and encouraged to enter your students’ work, but each story should be unique to each student. We ask that teachers FOLLOW UP and let parents know about the reception!!! Don’t plagiarize! (It really happens, every year.)
- All prizes, honors, and acknowledgements will be announced at the annual contest reception on Friday, Feb. 8, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. The reception will be held at the Truman Forum inside the Plaza Library at 4801 Main St. While we make every effort to contact winners prior to the event, ALL contestants are encouraged to attend. It’s a truly inspiring evening intended to motivate kids to keep on writing.
- At the reception, contestants and their parents will have an opportunity to meet and hear from several of Kansas City’s finest, nationally published, children’s book writers and illustrators who comprise our panel of judges. This year our panel includes Lisa Campbell Ernst, Brad Sneed, Cheryl Harness, Dana Regan, Jenny and Pete Whitehead, and Laura Huliska-Beith.
- There are as many winners in this contest as there are judges. Each judge will select his or her favorite story and create an original artwork illustrating that story. After reading the story at the reception, the judge will present the original illustration to the lucky winner! It’s really, really cool.
- Winners will also receive a Gift Certificate from the Reading Reptile and a gift bag from your friends at the Johnson County and the Kansas City Public Libraries!
- All contestants, win or lose, may claim a Certificate of Recognition at this event.